Monday, July 18, 2011

my diagnosis

My diagnosis. My specific diagnosis is: adjustment disorder with anxiety and depression. Doesn't exactly roll of the tongue does it?

I saw a therapist for the first time ever today. I think I like her. I almost posted this link on facebook but I'm pretty sure mental health stuff is supposed to be kept private. I don't know why. If someone is going to hold it against me that I'm messed up because my baby died...that person has more issues than I do.

I'll probably regret this from a financial standpoint but I've decided to make an end run around my MD and go straight to a psychiatrist to manage my new meds. (unless they decide I don't need them but I'm pretty certain I qualify) I'm nervous to start mood-altering drugs and I really want someone who knows what they're doing in charge.

Oh yes, this means that I'll be under the care of both a psychologist AND a psychiatrist. (at least I think my therapist is a psychologist, she has a PhD anyway) How special am I?

Baby girl should be 2 weeks old today. I wasn't so busy thinking about myself today that I forgot.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know why we all feel that mental health stuff should be kept private. Honestly, I think it would be better to be able to talk about it and know we're not alone! No one should have to struggle for months or even years before getting the courage to ask for help. Especially since, in my experience at least, I have found that a lot more people are in therapy or on anti-depressants than I ever would have guessed.

    My only advice (not that you are asking for any) is that if you try a med, and it doesn't seem like it's helping (or maybe it helps up to a point but not enough, or maybe it has side effects that you don't like) then don't be afraid to speak up and ask for something different. There are a lot of options out there and there's no "one size fits all" approach.

    ReplyDelete